The Kiwanis Club of San Leandro was chartered as one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries in 1923. Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".
On the evening of June 22, 1923, a charter was granted to the new San Leandro Kiwanis Club. This event toook place in the garden of the Estudillo House. Eighty-five members with wives, community leaders and sponsors gathered that evening for the acceptance of the charter from Kiwanis International
I was a pleasant evening as they enjoyed a barbecue, good fellowship and dancing. The club was sponsored by the Oakland Kiwanis Club. Claude B. Heacock became the first club president. Charles C. Way Sr. was in share of the music and program.
From that date the club has continued it's mission of assisting children and youth as the theme of the Kiwanis community service. During the club's history it has provided clothing, shoes, glasses and medical aid when public assistance was in short supply the club could always be counted on to step up. The club has discreetly reached out to needy youth. The clubs also provides support to various non-profits whos mission like ours is to provide support to those in need.
The club provides direct support to youth through their sponsorship of two Key Clubs. Key Clubs provide High School students with opportunities to serve their community, promote and learn leadship skills, fellowship of their members in living a "Caring Way of Life". The club is also active in their support of the Boys and Girls Club of San Leandro.
The club has two signature fundraising activies during the year. The annual crab feed is held during the month of January and the St Patrick's Day Dinner is held in March. These revenue from these events supports the club's Benevolent budget. These events inspire our members to promote the fellowship by being a member of a Kiwanis Club, but the satisfaction of working together to achive our goals of service our community.
The Kiwanis Club of San Leandro is still going string since 1923. You are always invited to join.